I painted this cloak for a production of Blood Wedding. The designer wanted a "wing" design which was invisible under normal light, but was blacklight-sensitive.
I began by drawing half of the cloak's pattern to scale. Once the designer approved the pattern, I traced it onto acetate.
I projected the pattern onto a piece of muslin, then hand traced it. 
Then I cut each feather out, numbering them to keep track, and affixed them to one half of the cloak. there were 94 feather shapes in the stencil.
By blacklight, I spraypainted over the stencil. It would have been easier to paint this pattern with a brush rather than an aerosol, but we could not find any un-aerosolized paint that was blacklight sensitive, invisible under normal light, and fabric-friendly.
Back to Top